Friday 27 October 2017

NOBODY OWES YOU ANYTHING


One of the best lessons I learnt as a young adult is that
Nobody owes me anything.
After I finished Uni and started job-hunting,
I was hoping someone would recognize all my hard work and good grades
Looking back, that sense of entitlement was not a good place to be.
The day I realized that my success and failures are all up to me
That was the day I became liberated from resentments and rejections

I am currently reading "The Lessons of History" by Will and Ariel Durant
And the highlight of the book for me is that 
Life is Competition 

Excerpts:

"There is no true equality, “Nature loves difference as the necessary material of selection and evolution"

“Competition is not only the life of trade, it is the trade of life— peaceful when food abounds, violent when the mouths outrun the food. Animals eat one another without qualm; civilized men consume one another by due process of law.”

“We are acquisitive, greedy, and pugnacious because our blood remembers millenniums through which our forebears had to chase and fight and kill in order to survive, and had to eat to their gastric capacity for fear they should not soon capture another feast.”

Please feel free to share your thoughts below. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment here. Thanks.